Google+ Badge

Saturday, 24 August 2013

Warp spider conversions


I am not a fan of the warpspider models but I love warp spiders in my list.... time to get the conversion kit out. I also decided in this instance to go for a common look but different types of weapons.

The base of these models has been tried and tested for me with another unit. I think the DE scourge kit is one of the best kits that GW have ever produced, dynamic body poses, very lean eldar look, great heads,
The wings also are pretty awesome although I have only used them once so far (see my other conversion for Baharroth), I also think the bat wings might be making an appearance in my Tyranid army at some point but you can see that idea being fleshed out on on my other blog http://nidomnom.blogspot.ie/ after the new codex probably.

Back to the Spiders. The following is a list of parts that I used to make these models - you can tell I like mixing and matching right ?

Scourge kit: Legs, torsos, heads, arms
Guardian kit:  Legs, torsos, left and right arms,
Forge World  Corsair conversions kit , I use all of these, vanes, the elongated heads and the backpacks
New Wraithguard, D cannons (cut down cannon body and using the vanes.
Green stuff / forge planet pipe maker  - hose lines
Old Dark Eldar - Old Splinter cannons

The look I was going for on the weapons is to have a common thread of vanes on the weapons
You can see the 4 examples below that I built. Also note the Hoses that have been added to some of the models.

Fig 1
 This item is the old DE splinter cannon with the front of the D cannon (the piece just behind the "nozzle" ) I really like the look of this. The vanes really make the weapon look more threatening. This is also useful as "heavy" weapons should I ever need these to count as something else (like corsairs for example!)
fig 2
This is the simplest version. It is just a DE shredder but suits the model for sure

Fig 3
This gun is unusual as the weapon is underslung. The right arm is a control arm from the artillery kit, the main body is the center component of a wraithguard D cannon. The front of the weapon is also from the D cannon just paired back and with a  little spike from a tyranid bits box. This is probably my favourite item as it looks heavy and dangerous.
Fig 4
The last one here and this one is a little different, It is


This is the fully assembled squad immediately before spray painting and I am very happy with the outcome . I will update the blog with more photos of the models as they get painted and get on the table to shred some mon-keigh! 













1 comment:

  1. Nice job Mike I take it the pipe maker worked alright.

    ReplyDelete